Google Meet Breakout Rooms
Breakout Rooms can be achieved in Google Meet with a bit of preparation. Students can be in various Google Meet rooms which a teacher can participate and monitor.
- Create a Google Doc to hold the hyperlinks of your Breakout Rooms
- Create names for your rooms
- Create random characters to be your "nicknames" (I just pretend type fast to make these)
- Place https://meet.google.com/lookup/ before each of the random characters
- This works to create and link nickname style meets
- Link the room names to each meet link you just created
- When you are ready for the meet open each link and join. Mute your microphone as you do
- Use an extension like Mute Tab to mute the joined breakout rooms
- Announce the Breakout Room document in Classroom when you are ready
- Individual links could also be assigned to groups of student to prevent room hopping.
- Advanced: Use an extension like Tab Resize for an overall view layout